I trust that you are all keeping well despite the frustrations of the current situation.
The SSCA Executive wants to keep you up-to-date with our current thinking.  I am sure most of you will already be aware of the latest ECB communications, but, If not, please view this on the Surrey Foundation website.
I want to re-assure all teachers, pupils and parents that any decisions taken by the SSCA Executive regarding schools cricket in Surrey must prioritise the well-being of all stakeholders.  Although some decisions will, no doubt, change the cricketing landscape this year, they may also provide new opportunities.
The current situation is as follows:
The last of these points will enable the scientists to gauge the possible effect of the re-opening of schools on the R0 (reproductive factor) for Covid-19.  This will probably take 2 or 3 weeks to assess, meaning that it is unlikely that secondary schools will re-open before July.
Unfortunately, in the light of this latest position, ALL SSCA competitions for the 2020 season are cancelled.
Most schools have paid affiliation and entry fees for the 2020 season.  We are now considering how to react to this situation.  We could refund fees to individuals schools, or we could be issue credit notes to schools for the 2021 season.  We will contact you with a proposal in the near future.
I appreciate that the current situation is extremely disappointing and frustrating for you as I know many staff and players have spent hours preparing for the season.  That said we do believe cricket has a vital role to play in the coming months as the country recovers from the pandemic and the SSCA Executive is keen to be in a position where we can mobilise the game as soon as government guidance permits.
If, and when, schools re-open, may I suggest that you make every attempt tp play some cricket, even if it is simply within the school environment.  It may be possible to play some small-sided games within whatever guidelines are eventually published by ECB.  We await developments with interest.
I have been told that some independent schools have been considering the possibility playing some cricket in September.  I would be interested in any further information regarding this proposal.
Try to stay safe and positive.
Best wishes,
Phil Everest
Chairman SSCA
05 May 2020